Resume Reading Service
The NWA Mentoring Committee is pleased to announce the creation of a resume reading service. Are you a NWA member who is applying for jobs? Would you like an experienced recruiter to look over your application materials before you submit them? We have an opportunity for you. This is not limited to new archivists: if you’ve been working for a while and are considering a change or just want to dust off your CV, you’re welcome to participate.
How it works:The jobseeker submits application materials to the Mentoring Committee at nwaresumeread at gmail.com.
- Within 1-2 business days, the Mentoring Committee will acknowledge receipt and send out a request for readers.
- In approximately 1 week, the reviewer or the Mentoring Committee will return the materials to the jobseeker.
- This is a pilot project. We will be amending it based on program participant needs and as we find ways to make it more efficient, but will also conduct a more intensive evaluation in July of 2016.
Details for jobseekers:
- You must be a current member of NWA to participate. If you are not a member of NWA, membership information can be found at: http://northwestarchivistsinc.wildapricot.org/membership
- Review is available for your master application materials or for application materials for a particular job. Generally readers find it easier to provide a detailed and comprehensive review with application materials tailored to a recruitment: please include the full text of the job ad if you are submitting targeted application materials.
- The review process will require up to a week to complete. Please allow sufficient time prior to the application date to allow your reviewer time to thoroughly review your materials. In the case of master application materials, we may request longer than one week depending on reader availability.
- We ask that you not submit more than one set of application materials a month. Based on volunteer availability, we may limit the number of times materials can be submitted by one person. Priority will be given to individuals who have never used the service before.
- Application materials should be attached to an email to nwaresumeread at gmail.com. PDF documents preferred. The subject line of the email should include “Resume Read.” The text of the email should include your contact information, the required due date of the response, and anything specific the reviewer should know or for which s/he should be watching. A member of the Mentoring Committee may be back in touch for clarification prior to sending it out to a reader, so check your email regularly.
- Please remember that this is a volunteer service. As all recruiters evaluate applications differently, all readers will evaluate application materials differently and see different things. This service comes with no guarantees.
Details for volunteer readers:
- If you’re interested in volunteering, please email us at nwaresumeread at gmail.com with the following information: name, email, phone number, your institution name*, types of applications you’re willing to review (corporate, academic, government, non-profit, etc) or anything else you would like us to take into account as we’re assigning readers.
- As you might note from the above, we are asking jobseekers for a week’s response time: which should give you ~5-6 days to review materials. This deadline may not apply in all cases. Please keep the timeline in mind when agreeing to review materials and be prepared to let the Committee know quickly if you cannot meet the deadline.
*We will do our best to avoid conflicts of interest with assigning readers. Knowing where you’re currently working will help us with that.