From the The Josephine Forman Scholarship Subcommittee:
The application period for the 2017 Society of American Archivists Josephine Forman Scholarship is now open. If you are an eligible graduate student in archival science, apply! If you know of an eligible graduate student, please forward this information to that student with encouragement to submit an application! Applications must be submitted to SAA by February 28.
The purpose of the Josephine Forman Scholarship is to provide financial support to minority students pursuing graduate education in archival science, to encourage students to pursue a career as an archivist, and to promote the diversification of the American archives profession. The scholarship is given to applicants who demonstrate excellent potential for scholastic and personal achievement and who manifest a commitment both to the archives profession and to advancing diversity concerns within it.
The recipient of the award will receive a scholarship of $10,000. Awardees also may be invited to attend the annual meeting of the General Commission on Archives and History and/or the Quadrennial Historical Convocation, with funding provided by GCAH.
The applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
· The applicant must be of American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander descent.
· The applicant must be currently enrolled in a graduate program or a multi-course program in archival administration, or have applied to such a program for the next academic year.
· The applicant shall have completed no more than half of the credit requirements toward her/his graduate degree at the time of the award (i.e., June 1).
· The applicant must be enrolled in a graduate program and begin school no later than September 1 or the fall semester/quarter immediately following the award.
· Applicants may have full-time or part-time status.
For more details or to download the application form please visit:
The deadline to apply is February 28, 2017.
The Josephine Forman Scholarship Subcommittee
Elizabeth Nielsen (Chair), Oregon State University
L. Dale Patterson, United Methodist Church Archives
Jennifer Kinniff, Johns Hopkins University
Allyson Smally, University of Chicago